Sunday, May 09, 2010

Breakfast in America

Sometimes, you just really want a taste of home. I read articles about where to get American or Asian or Mexican food in Paris (usually on NYT) and then the reader commentary with someone saying "Why would I want to eat that food when I'm in Paris? You should eat French food when you're there!" 

Well first of all, do you eat American food all the time when you're in America? I don't think so. Maybe if you're a tourist then yes, you should try out the cuisine of the country. But what about all of us that are far from home and just want a taste of it? I read those NYT articles for the French food in Paris and the American food in Paris and the Asian food in Paris and the Mexican food in Paris and whatever else kind of Paris stuff they throw at me. People somehow tend to forget that sometimes, its not all about them. Whew, trailed off there for a second.

Anyhow, brunched at Breakfast in America (2 blocks from my fabulously tiny apartment), an American-style diner with endless cups of coffee, omelettes, french toast, pancakes, bacon and bagels and even Philadelphia cream cheese. An hour and a half wait later, I get these:


Strawberry white chocolate chip pancakes. I usually don't order pancakes because I'm generally not a big fan. And I actually ordered a Mexican skirt steak taco salad but they were out. But these pancakes were so good and totally hit the spot. That griddle must be really well-seasoned for it to produce these perfect huge fluffy pancakes. Now I know where to go to get my American-food fix.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to your post. Sure, we only eat French food everyday in Paris.....

    The thing I miss about NY the most is the variety of food available. Paris doesn't measure up, not even close.

    ReplyDelete