Monday, May 03, 2010

Spicy crispy crunchy snacks

I've made roasted chickpeas so many times before, always throwing whatever spices I had on hand into the mix. Today I decided to be more focused and go Indian - garam masala. And of course some cayenne pepper. And some smoked Maldon sea salt for good measure. It's a perfect crunchy snack - high in fiber, low in fat, easy to eat out of hand and quite filling. They turned out pretty darn tasty, even though my oven isn't an oven. Its really a microwave with a built-in convection oven feature. I started eating them and before I knew it, the whole pan was empty (that might not have been as healthy). Next time, I'll either go sweet (cinnamon, cloves, lemon) or Mexican (chile peppers, lime, cilantro). You can probably guess which one I'm leaning towards.

Roasted chickpeas


1 can chickpeas, drained rinsed and dried
1 tbsp olive oil
Spices (I like some curry powder / garam masala, with cayenne pepper...but you can do whatever including garlic powder, paprika, fennel, oregano, marjoram, thyme...)
Salt

Pre-heat oven to 450F

In a bowl, combine chickpeas with the olive oil, a few shakes of whatever spices you want, and salt. Toss until everything is uniformly coated. Taste and adjust spices as needed.

Spread out in a single layer on a foil-lined cookie sheet (or whatever metallic oven-proof vessel you have...I used a tart pan). Roast in oven for 15 minutes, shake the pan, and roast for 5 - 10 minutes more, depending of whether you want them on the chewier or crunchier side.

If you're adding fresh herbs or lime / lemon juice, add them after you take the chickenpeas out of the oven. Try not to eat all of them at once, like I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment