Sunday, July 18, 2010

Outdoors at La Terrasse

Galeries Lafayette is a cluster during the soldes. There are lines to get into the Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Longchamp store-in-stores (curiously not at Prada though...). The area of refuge? The newly-opened summer-only restaurant on the 8th floor of the Galeries, La Terrasse. I read about it on my new favorite all-things-edible-in-Paris collaborative blog Paris by Mouth.

I didn't even know you could go to the roof here. It's a great free way to see the rooftops of Paris. There were even people camping out and eating sandwiches. Here's the view of the Invalides dome (that's where Napoleon's tomb is), which I attempted to line up with the dome of the Petit Palais. Kinda failed.


And here is the back of the Opera Garnier.


Surprisingly, the wait for the restaurant wasn't too long, considering the fact the chef is an alum of the three-stared Arpege (10 courses $540?! Guess I won't be going there anytime soon...). I ordered the heirloom tomato salad which came with olives (I ate around them), basil and micro-greens, dressed simply in olive oil. MMMM, tastes like summer.


I was planning on going solo but SM joined me. They ran out of the pasta with Parmesan and yuzu so he got the chicken meatballs with vermicelli noodles and veggies in a seafood broth with shrimp. I think he was happy.


While attempting to shop in the store, I stumbled up on the Pierre Herme boutique in the basement. I couldn't resist. Into my tummy went a chocolate (with cacao nibs) and strawberry-balsamic macaroon which trying on a dress in a dressing room (hence the awful lighting)


And at La Terrasse Pierre Herme made an appearance again in the form of a glorified ice cream sandwich named Satine - fromage blanc and orange coulis sorbet sandwiched by two passion fruit macarons. This disappeared. Fast.


Conclusion to the day? Right after lunch we met up with WD and went to watch Toy Story (VO and 3D!) at the Gaumont Capucines Opera around the corner. I shed tears. Lots of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment