Thursday, December 31, 2009

Inaugurating a Kitchen

I cooked for the first time in mama's new kitchen, and for the first time in over two weeks since I didn't have a kitchen while in Brazil.

It was five of us so I needed to make something easy but something big enough so that there'd be enough for everyone. And so, I decided to make brick chicken with apricot couscous. I've had my eye on this recipe for a while and I hadn't had a chance to make it. And now I have. And I butterflied my first chicken cause mama was too lazy to ask the butcher to do it (she claims there were a lot of people at the store).



I'd forgotten how much I like couscous cause I don't make it too often, but I really should. It's a perfect accompaniment and doesn't take more than 10 minutes to make (thats considering you add things to it that are sauteed, plain couscous takes 5 minutes). But the thing that made this dish was the mint cilantro sauce. It was super refreshing on top of the spicy chicken and mixed in with the couscous (we only put in half the amount of honey but I'd completely omit it).

Also, as happens every winter holiday season, I overdose on clementines. Clementines consumed today? Oh too many to count, but I'd probably say somewhere in the vinicinity of 10. I am expecting to wake up with a rash since I'm actually allergic to citrus. Fantastic. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment