Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Pumpkin isn't only for Thanksgiving

Between Paris and Brazil, I got to stay in my favoritest (new word) city while waiting for my Brazilian business visa. It’s always so comforting and familiar to come back. I’m not sure how tourists enjoy the city, I don’t think I would if I were in their shoes. Too much pushing and shoving and NYC isn’t the friendliest place. But then again, I’m the one that does the pushing and the shoving…they just walk too slow for me!

A few months ago JP and I went to Locanda Verde (finally...I mean really JP, I told you once Bruni wrote his review it’d be hard to get prime dinner reservations! Yet you didn’t believe me. Regardless). We went for brunch and decided to start with the pastry platter. Pumpkin Spice Loaf. Oh gosh, I didn’t even know I liked pumpkin before biting down into this. It was crazy delicious and moist.

We later returned JUST to get the pumpkin spice loaf from the pastry counter. And then, while trying to find the recipe, I found out that the pastry chef at Locanda Verde, Karen DeMasco, includes it in her book, The Craft of Baking. I was going to go to B&N to write down the recipe but then I found it online at Lottie + Doof. I’m still going to go to B&N to check it out and make sure its 100% the same (I read somewhere there is also white pepper in the batter, which isn’t in the recipe). And voila:



The flavor was there, the texture wasn’t. I’ll have to try again sometime later but, for now, it sufficed.

No comments:

Post a Comment