Saturday, February 06, 2010

French fries fried in suet

I hate to be a downer and ruin the party (and all the positive reviews) that La Bourse ou La Vie has received but the meat just isn't that good. The steak was OK at best, and this is a restaurant that is supposedly prized and known for its steak frites. Yes, that is a huge hunk of steak covered in a peppery butter sauce.


I couldn't stop eating the fries (hah, I polished all of those off). I think this was the most amount of food I've eaten in one sitting since arriving in Paris. But unfortunately, the flavor of the meat (apparently grass-fed) was smothered by the overly rich, overly peppery sauce (yes, I know its steak au poivre but it was more like poivre avec steak). I mean, I appreciate butter, and pepper, but not in such huuuuuge quantities! I barely tasted the meat, but of course that didn't stop me from eating all of it. JL likes to say I'm like a goldfish, I eat all or almost all of whatever is in front of me. I don't know if that's what goldfish do, but that's pretty much what I do most of the time. Yea yea, I'm a fattie, fine.

The decor of this place is super whimsical (tacky perhaps? but in a charming way), with fake fruit glued to the lamp posts, and some piggies glued to the ceiling...
 

And as a word of advice, skip the dessert. It's overly homey and not worth it in my opinion. But go for the fries - those are worth it alone (they're fried in suet, or beef fat, yum!). And affordable wine, which they do a la ficelle (charge you for how much of a bottle you drink).

No comments:

Post a Comment